Sunday, February 24, 2013

A path to good eating!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I eat.    The so-called "Paleo Diet" has been tickling my mind recently, and though I don't subscribe to extreme diets, I do think a couple dietary principles are important for maintaining good health:

  1. Eat raw, whole foods
  2. Diversify the species you eat

I am concerned that most of our food today is based on just a few species:  corn, soy, and wheat, and even then, these ingredients are refined so much that they lose much of their nutritional value.  I am also concerned that fad diets tend to create their own problems and they are hard to stick to because they work against the parts of your brain that find pleasure in eating.  

Enter the smoothie.   Smoothies are made almost exclusively from raw, whole fruits and vegetables.   They taste good and they are easy to make.  They seem like a great tool for increasing my intake of healthy food without having to resort to a weird diet.    Some people who post smoothie recipes are going for weight loss, or "detoxification", but I tend to think those approaches can be a little unbalanced.   I believe that if I focus on consuming good foods, that things like weight loss and detoxification tend to take care of themselves.  

My guiding philosophy is that healthy food should taste fantastic.  So that is why I am writing this blog.   I've been trying out different kinds of smoothies nearly every day.  I am going to put my best recipes up here so that you can read them and make them yourself.   I will include bad recipes too so that you can learn from my failures. Lastly,  I will include principles that I am learning so that you can be informed on how to adjust recipes to suit your personal interests.  I hope that this information is helpful for you and encourages you to improve what you eat!

Here we go, on to adventure!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment