Monday, February 25, 2013

Apple/Spinach/Avocado smoothie

Rating: *****

I woke up this morning with an emotional hangover thanks to a blender mishap last night and a less-than-optimal conversation with my mom.   Thankfully my good wife was there to hear my troubles and turn my mood around. It’s amazing to me how simple and powerful the act of listening is and how it change my trajectory of the day.  I was ready for a really delicious smoothie!

Apples and spinach is a fantastic combination and goes well with just about anything you might want to add.  Avocado can be a little too unusual for some, so feel free to replace it with a banana.   Also, a dash of lemon or lime juice increases the fruitiness o20130225_070619_DSC_0007f this smoothie.

1/4 C  Flax meal
1/4 C  Walnuts
1      Apple
1/2    Avocado
3-4 C  Spinach
1 C    Blueberry Yogurt
~2 C   Strawberry Kiwi Juice
~1 C   Water

To smooth out the grit, blend the flax and walnuts first with some juice for about 1 minute.  Add the cut up apple (minus seeds) with a little more juice and blend for about 2 minutes.  You want just enough juice so that the shake circulates as it blends, but no more.  Sample a little of the mixture before continuing and make sure that it’s smooth and enjoyable.  Blend longer if not.   

Add avocado, yogurt, and spinach, pushing the spinach down to the bottom with a spoon.  The spinach compresses down a lot, so I just fill up the whole blender with it before pushing it down.  Add some enough juice to allow the mixture to circulate as it blends.   Once blended, tast the mixture.   Add water or juice to get it to the desired thickness/sweetness.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment