Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Crimson Tide

Rating: *****

My wife likes me to leave out the grains and nuts from my smoothies, so I decided to leave those on the side today.   I also decided to experiment a little with some new flavors.  The result was a crimson concoction with a serious, yet fruity flavor.

Ingredients:

1/2   Zucchini
1/2   Red Beet
1     Stalk of celery
1/2 C Strawberries (frozen)
1/2 C Blueberries (frozen)
1/2   Orange (Frozen)
1/2   Red Bell Pepper
1 C   Greek Yogurt
2 C   Spinach
1 T   Fresh Cilantro
2-3 C Orange Juice

Start with the zucchini, beet, celery and some orange juice and blend for a few minutes for smoothness.   Add frozen vegetables and more juice and blend until smooth.  Add everthing else and blend until the spinach is blended to your liking.

At first, I was struck by the distinct vegetable flavor that comes from the pepper and cilantro,  however it didn’t take long for me to adjust and pretty soon I was loving this smoothie!  The cilantro did a wonderful job of balancing out the beet flavor, and the spinach doesn’t affect the flavor much at all, but it did change this shake from deep purple to a lovely crimson color.

No comments:

Post a Comment